Saturday 12 November 2011

Choosing the right profession


This is the question which keep banging on my head lately. Last semester, one of my lecturer told us how important it is to choose the right profession for us because it is something we have to do for the rest of our life. He told us how he was torn between becoming a dentist or an educator. Of course he chose to become an educator and study chemistry instead. His reasoning is simple. He just didn't want to see rotten teeth for the rest (or at least until he retire) of his life. Haha.. No offense for dentist or dentist to be.

Speaking of which, I'm now having the same question. Does being a chemist suits me?? I know I still have a year and half more before graduating and it is relatively still a long way to go. But I got to have a plan for my life rite? For some reason, I'm thankful that I wasn't given a chance to do medicine anymore. Lately, my grandfather frequently admitted to the hospital. While visiting him there, I can say that being a doctor is not a profession for me. Yes, the monetary reward is very tempting but money can't buy anything rite? Seriously. I'm not saying this because my door of doing medicine has been shut long time ago. But from my observation, it's quite boring. Maybe the situations are different in a private hospital. Maybe it's better in the private but I can't comment on that. However it is, it's still a noble profession.

So, does being a chemist suits me? Honestly, I don't think so. Being a chemist is just the same like being a doctor. I think it's probably worse. Firstly, being a chemist, you have to spend a lot of your time in a laboratory. Which means your only friends are laboratory apparatus and a few lab assistants. Secondly, spending more time in laboratory can be harmful to your health. A lot of chemical (carbon tetrachloride among many) can be carcinogenic and can damage much of our internal organ (liver, kidney and central nervous system) if exposed to our body.

After much though and consideration, I think I'm better off as an administrator. I love to work in an office, wearing nice attire (although I'm not very fashion conscious), getting to know people and I love managing things. I know it has nothing to do with chemistry, but I believe that degree is just a stepping stone for you to get a job. And since my parents wants me to work with the Government of Malaysia, I plan to plan to apply for Administrative and Diplomatic Officer (Pegawai Tadbir dan Diplomatik @PTD) upon finishing my study. I heard that the admission is tough though. There are several stages of selection process we have to go trough before we are accepted. However, it is the most elite scheme in the government sector. Promotion is fast and the job prospect is bright. You can go as far as the Secretary General (KSU) of a ministry or perhaps the Chief Secretary of the Government (KSN)! Hopefully I can make my way to that. Prays for me guys. Ameen...

No comments: